Friday, April 29, 2011

Goodbye

The last few weeks I've been occupied with a lot of family events.  My brother-in-law went the hospital the weekend before Easter.  He has recovered now, and is on the mend.  Now, my parents are moving out of their house that my dad built.  I lived there from childbirth until I was 20.  In total, my parents lived there for 37 years. 

On Wednesday, I helped them moved some of their items.  Today, my mom is cleaning the house and my husband and dad will be heading over there to pick of the last of the few items.  My parents are exhausted, as you can imagine.  They have been moving nonstop since they got the keys to the new house on Monday afternoon.  I think they can finally see the end of the tunnel.

Tomorrow, April would like to go to the house to see it one last time.  I'm not sure I will go with them.  Not because I think I would be sad.  But, when I was there on Wednesday, I was surprisingly not sad at all.  I realized that, even though I grew up in this house, the memories are still there.  All the "things" that I remember about the house will still be in my mind:  skipping a step to go up the stairs, how the floor sounds when you walk on the tongue and groove floors, and, as my mom reminded me, how soft and warm the tongue and groove floors feel upstairs when the heat rises from the first floor.  I'm still undecided if I need one more day to say "goodbye".

For this entry it will be my written goodbye.  Goodbye house: you have a wonderful spirit and the new owners will love you just as much as our family did from your birth and for 37 more years....

No comments:

Post a Comment