Saturday, March 19, 2011

Singing by Heart

The imagination of a child is so exciting to observe.  Natalie, I feel, has a special connection to the raw world, which I feel are animals, the arts, and music.  I sensed, even when I was pregnant, that Natalie was going to be a child with an old soul.....truly in touch with how the world works.  She seems to have a natural sense of music and art.  I believe she can sense the raw music and art of the world around her, which gives her a natural love for singing and draw.  We have an art easal my mom purchased for her several years ago set up in the living room.  Natalie frequently paints whenever she feels the nerve.   While she is painting or drawing, she is usually singing her own songs that she has created in her mind.  We usually cannot hear the words, for they are her own and for her alone to know what they are.  She is a very shy child, even as her Kindergarten teacher told us this week during our parent/teacher conference.  So, she rarely will let us listen to her sing, but will always show us her drawings.  This past Friday, I was lucky enough to hear Natalie singing from her heart.

The previous evening, the school that I am a secretary for, put on the musical production of The Wizard of Oz.  One song in particular, which Ernie says was not in the 1939 movie, was called the "Jitterbug".  Keep in mind that Natalie heard this song only one time. 

The next morning, while I was in the kitchen making my breakfast and letting Natalie lay in bed for a few minutes, I heard singing eminating from her room.  I could somewhat distinguish the tune.  I listened some more, trying to figure out where I had heard the song before.  Then, after a few moments, I realized that it was the jitterbug song from the night before.  A smile came across my face.  I walked into her room where she was laying in bed. 

Then I said to her,"Natalie, are you singing the jitterbug song from the play last night?" 

She, shy as she always is about anyone hearing her sing, turned over and whined, "ehhhaaaaa!" 

Then I said,"Natalie, I have to tell you:  you sounded so good from in the living room.  I am completely surprised that you knew that song after only hearing it one time.  Do you know all of the words too?" 

She looks at me and nodds 'yes'.  Then I said,"wow, I am impressed.  That is a special talent you have.  You really should be proud that you can do that.  Not many people can listen to a song one time and be able to remember both the tune and all of the words."

She smiled at me and said,"I know."

I often feel Natalie will someday understand just what a special talent she has for expressing herself by singing and drawing.  Ernie and I allow her complete freedom with these forms of expression.  Both of our parents are artists, so it must run in the family. 

So, I will continue to relish in Natalie's natural creativity and love for the arts, in all their forms.

2 comments:

  1. Remember how she was when she was a baby? Always loving to be held and rocked when music was being played? And then falling asleep with classical music at her nap time? She has had rhythm from the very beginning, that's for sure. And the fact that she has words running around in her head, that is really special...those words will spill out one of these days, as does her art. She creates from a space deep within her, Kimberly! Creating comes from a space deep inside. It is hard work getting it to the surface. And for parents to realize that it is hard work and allow her the space she needs to bring it forth is also a great gift. Not all parents recognize that and leave the child alone to nurture it, analyze it, play with it, and lay it out for the world to see. Such a vulnerable place to be and learning to share it is really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just experienced this with my g/daughter today. she was humming the tune to the song from the skeleton dance video. When we realized she was doing this my daughter and I commented and she instantly stopped and wouldn't hum any longer. I think it's awesome that Natalie remembered the song. she gives me faith in the future of our world. xo

    ReplyDelete